Saturday, October 8, 2011

Song Saturday - When October Goes


Reflection.  There's not a year that goes by that I don't linger and listen to this song when the calendar page turns to October.

Barry Manilow was one of Tim's guilty pleasures, although he was not the type to feel guilty about his choices.  This song embraces the poignancy of this time of the year for me - my favorite season and memories of my favorite guy, all in one brilliant Johnny Mercer lyric paired with a beautiful minor key melody from Manilow.

September in my hometown still evinces summer -- the heat of the valley, the trees still desperately clinging to their green facade, people in sleeveless shirts and shorts listening to that last summer concert in the downtown square or cruising the Farmer's Market.

October signals the cycle of change and preparation.  The initiation of autumn, rather than the end of the year, is my time of deepest reflection and planning.

I notice the avenues of trees and watch for them to put on their finest colors and then slowly undress.  I wait for that first full moon that breaks through the naked branches.  I try to anticipate November, our birthdays month, and gauge if another year down the road of grieving and loss has moved me farther along the path to release.  He'd surely tell me, "get on with it."  He did.  I think I'm almost there. The leaves will drop; the rains will come. I will still hate to see October go.

I should be over it now, I know.  
It doesn't matter much how old I grow.
I hate to see October go.





Art: Maxfield Parrish - "Dream October"

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Mike. Hope your journey on a similar path is going well. It's a rather remarkable jumpstart to reflection, yes? I imagine your poetry has reflected this as well. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cris, this is beautiful and here I am in November just catching up. I'm sorry, dear friend. And I hope you are feeling better. I've been thinking about you a lot lately and wondering if you made any big decisions lately. I love you!

    ReplyDelete